Thursday, February 10, 2005

I knew it would get better

Well.....I knew it wouldn't take long to be reminded why I love my job. I showed up to work today to find that one of our detectives was working with a neighboring department trying to get an arrest warrant on a man accused of sexually assaulting his daughter.

I left briefing early to go watch the guys house in case he left. After watching the house for about 30 or 40 minutes the detective showed up with the warrant. We knocked on the front door, which was locked, and got no answer. So we checked the back door and found that it was locked but had no dead bolt. Since we had a felony warrant we could have kicked in the door but we didn't. One of the officers was able to get the back door open. Once he did that we made entry and searched the house for this guy, but he wasn't there. As we were getting ready to leave the detective was able to speak with him by phone. The guy agreed to meet the detective at the station. We went to the station and a few minutes later the guy walked in. I took him to the detectives office where they talked for a while. Then the guy went to jail. I won't get into specifics but apparently he has been molesting his daughter for about 6 years. It is always nice to get to help someone in a situation like that.

Later in the shift I went to a prowler call. When I got there I found this woman on her front porch. She was trying to change the light bulb on her porch light. She told me someone had tried to get in her front door by using a key and that she tried to turn the porch light on but it didn't work. She wasn't having much luck getting the bulb cover unscrewed. I thought for a second and told her I would change the bulb. The reason I thought for a second is because the last complaint I got the lady accused me of almost causing her car to fall off the jack by placing the jack in the wrong place and jacking it up, even though I had not jacked the car up. Anyway I changed the bulb. I will probably be in the commanders office in a few days because something will be messed up and who better to blame it on but the police. Oh well, if I get in trouble, it was worth it. This is another reason I became the police, to help people even if it was changing a light bulb.

Then towards the end of the shift there was a hit and run in town. Another officer located the suspect vehicle but the driver was gone. We started checking the area between where the vehicle was found and where it registered to. One of the guys found him and had a short foot chase that ended with the guy running/crawling into a drainage pipe under a road. It was kind of funny when I asked him on the radio which way they were running and he said "we went underground." I got there in time to help take him into custody and drag him out of the pipe. For some reason the man wanted to cuss us and not stand up and help us get him out of there. I am not sure why......Maybe it was because he was intoxicated. He went to jail. Since I was recently accused of using excessive force while taking some poor innocent person into custody I will add this DISCLAIMER: we never kicked, hit, cussed, dropped him or anything like that, in fact even though he repeatedly asked us to shoot him we didn't do that either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home