Sunday, June 05, 2005

A Runner

Monday another officer and were dispatched to suspicious activity at a vacant residence. Dispatch told us that the front door had been kicked in and there was a car parked behind the residence.

We arrived and my partner walked up to the front door. It was not kicked in. He knocked on the door but got no answer. We then walked around the residence and saw the car in back. The keys were in the ignition. From looking in the windows we could see that the residence was not being lived in.

We continued around the residence and found a window was slightly open in the front. My partner opened the curtain and looked in. He immediately smelled the odor of burning marijuana and saw a male and female having sex on a dirty mattress with no sheets. My partner told them to come to the door. They said they needed to get dressed and would come to the door. My partner called for another officer to assist.

I walked to the back of the house to make sure no one tried to get out that way and my partner went to the front. I saw the woman walk towards the front door and went around to the side so I could tell my partner she was coming.

As I turned to go back to the back I saw a male take off running across the back yard and through a hole in a wooden fence. I yelled at him to stop but he kept running with me behind him.

He made it through the hole in the fence and I lost sight of him. When I got through the fence I did not see him anymore. I was in a backyard and there were two males there. I asked them where he had gone and they told me around front. So I ran that way and did not see anything, he had just disappeared. By this time my partner had made it to where I was and we began to check the area.

Another officer arrived in the area and went to the original residence. The woman was not there. As my partner and I continued to check the area the officer at the residence told us that a resident from a neighboring house had come to him and said a woman had just barged into their house and was hiding there. That officer went to the house and detained the woman.
By this time my partner and I had returned to the residence. A computer check showed the female was wanted so she was placed under arrest for the warrants as well as criminal trespass for just barging into the neighbor’s house.

We called for a dog from a neighboring agency. When the dog arrived we started to retrace my route. As we got to the hole in the fence a woman met us and told us there was a "black guy" in her house. This was a white woman and it happened that the guy that ran was black.
My partner and I along with the dog and his handler went to the house. We were told the guy was in the garage. After yelling at him repeatedly and threatening to send the dog in he came out.

Once he was in custody he told me he was on parole and had a parole violation and that was why he had run. It turned out he was on parole for aggravated assault on a peace officer for trying to run over an officer a couple of years ago. He also had a warrant for possession of a controlled substance as well as various traffic warrants.

One of the males from the backyard went to jail for hindering apprehension. The guy was a friend of his and he had hidden him in the house and lied about it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home