Monday, October 02, 2006

A Motorcycle Wreck

I started my last post by saying how bad Friday was. As I mentioned I felt horrible. Well it just got worse after that call. I went to the station so I could try to write what would be a lengthy report on the minor drinking and CPS response. I walked in the door to the station only to get dispatched to a disturbance call. There was nothing to it so I cleared and headed back to the station to write.

As soon as I walked in the station I was dispatched to an alarm call. So out the door I went. I handled the call and cleared. As I cleared dispatch put out a broadcast on a possible intoxicated driver coming right by where I was.

A moment later the truck came by and another officer got behind it and made a stop, I followed. Sure enough the driver was intoxicated, so was the passenger. They were both arrested.

By this time it was late enough in the shift that I thought it may slow down. I finished helping the other officer and tried to go eat. As I pulled into the parking lot where I was going to eat I got flagged down about a guy riding a pocket bike on the road with no lights. I found the guy and talked with him. I was thinking that when I finished I would finally be able to get something to eat and was hoping I would feel a little better after eating.
Well that didn’t work out. I was on the far north end of town when dispatch said they had a motorcycle wreck on the far south east part of town. Dispatch said that there was probably a dead person. Since I was working two beats it was in my area. So off I went muttering to myself about how my night had gone from bad to worse.

After driving hard and fast I arrived on scene along with a couple of other officer’s right behind the fire department. To my relief I found that we were just outside the city limits and in the County. That meant a State Trooper would come work the wreck.

I saw a woman doing CPR on a guy on the side of the road, she was covered in blood. Another guy was lying on the side of the road having agonal respirations. He had blood coming out his ears, nose and mouth. The blood from his nose also had a clear mucous in it. This was not good. Obviously the guy being administered CPR was way low sick. The other guy wasn’t far behind. I’m no medical expert but I understand that if someone is having agonal respirations they are very near death. The fire department got me to help them with some of their equipment. I ended up holding an IV bag for the guy that was still breathing. He had a strong radial pulse. It appeared they both had head injuries.

While I did this one of the other officers spoke to the woman that had been doing CPR. He learned that she had come from Kansas to visit her nephew, the one she had been doing CPR on. Evidently they had been at a motorcycle rally not far from the scene of the accident when her nephew and the other guy decided to ride into town for cigarettes. They had been drinking. For some reason they ran into the ditch throwing them from the motorcycle. Sometime after the wreck she left and found them lying on the side of the road. Since she was not from the area when she called 9-1-1 she did not have any idea where she was other than in the country. A short time after she called someone else drove by and was able to tell the dispatcher where they were.

A helicopter was called for the guy that was still breathing. As they loaded him they lost his pulse.

The woman apologized to me for doing CPR on her nephew and not working on the other guy. She said she worked on her nephew because she knew him and had no idea who the other guy was. For all practical purposes they were both dead so I can’t blame her for working on her nephew.