Friday, July 14, 2006

Jerry Springer

Last Saturday I had an observer riding with me. He was a local college student interested in being a cop. It was really slow for a Saturday. I told him that the job is interesting, that you get to meet all kinds of people and see and hear stories that you would not believe if you didn’t see it yourself.

Near the end of the shift we went out to the lake. The park at the lake closes at midnight and you can often find something good out there after it closes.

Another officer was out there and found a woman walking near the lake. He stopped to talk to her. The woman said that she was with some friends and pointed to three people about a hundred yards away.

I went to talk to them. It was a female and two males. I asked for identification from them and only one of the males had any. I separated the female from the males and asked for the name of the male without identification. She told me his name and that he was her fiancé. While talking with her I saw some bruises on her neck. I asked her what the bruises were and she told me hickies. She went on to say that she was going through a divorce. Her husband used to be best friends with her fiancé. Her husband ran off with her fiancé’s wife so they decided to get together.

I got back in the car with the observer and reminded him what I had said about hearing all kinds of stories.