Thursday, May 18, 2006

Mother’s Day

I was sitting in briefing the other day thinking about how far behind I was on paperwork when I heard a couple of dayshift officers get dispatched to a disturbance where a person had been assaulted. My supervisor asked me to go ahead go to the call since it was in my beat in case an arrest was made. That way the dayshift officers would not be stuck as late.

When I arrived on scene I saw an officer handcuffing a bad guy. The bad guy was screaming and cursing. I got out of my patrol car and saw a man holding his chest and having difficulty breathing. Another officer called for an ambulance for him.

The dayshift supervisor told me to follow the officer that had the bad guy in custody to the jail so I could book him in. Plus there was some concern that the bad guy might become combative, he was paranoid schizophrenic and off of his medication.

In route to the jail the bad guy started to bang his head on the partition between the front and back seats. As I followed it appeared he would go from being excited, screaming and hollering and banging his head to being calm.

When we arrived at the jail we got the bad guy out of the car. This was my first contact with him. He looked me in the eye and told me he hit his dad today. Then he asked us to tell his dad he was sorry. A few seconds later he told us he hoped we died and the maggots ate our dead decaying bodies.

As we began to enter the jail he called me a “gay faggot” and turned towards me. As he turned he pulled his leg back. I saw that he was going to kick me and I stepped back. I didn’t step back far enough fast enough and he kicked me above my left knee. The officer with me stepped in and forced him against a wall and then we took him to the ground. Once he was under control the jail staff brought a restraint chair and he was placed in it.

Once we were in the jail and he was restrained I talked to the officer on the scene. The bad guy is paranoid schizophrenic and apparently off his medicine. He was picked up by his mother and sister to go to their house for Mother’s Day. On the trip to the house he became angry for some reason and started to curse his mother and sister.

When they got to the house the dad, who is disabled with heart problems and has to walk with a cane, came out and told the son to get back in the car because he was not going to put up with it and he was going to take him home. The son became angry and assaulted dad.

Because dad is disabled he was charged with injury to the disabled, a felony, instead of assault which is a misdemeanor. He was also charged with assault on a Peace Officer for kicking me which was another felony. Maybe in jail they can get him back on his medication.

1 Comments:

Blogger The Lewis Family said...

That is scary stuff.

May 23, 2006 4:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home