Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Tasers

Tasers are becoming more and more popular with law enforcement agencies. They are a very effective tool to incapacitate a noncompliant subject and avoid injury to suspect’s and officers.

The agency I work for had two officers trained and equipped with tasers until recently. The department bought tasers to equip more officers with them. I was chosen to get one.

To be issued a taser we had to attend a training class put on by the two officers’ who already had them and had been to instructor school. The class was very informative and educated us on the use and effects of tasers. When a taser is deployed the subject is hit with a five second burst of electricity. This can be stopped sooner by turning the taser off or if the subject remains noncompliant they can be hit with another five seconds.

As part of the class we had to experience the effects of a taser. We had an option of taking a one second hit or a full five-second hit. The first officer to go decided he wanted to feel the full five seconds so he knew what a subject would feel if hit with the full hit. After he went the rest of the class, being dumb macho cops, decided to take the full five-second hit too.

The taser hit me in the back. One prong hit on my left shoulder and the other on my lower left back. I didn’t feel the prongs hit me but I sure felt the electricity. The way the taser works the two prongs complete a circuit and the electricity basically flows through your body between the two prongs. It felt like I was repeatedly being hit by a sledgehammer on my stomach and back. I remember thinking it is only five seconds, but it sure was a long five seconds. I screamed like a girl, we all did, and began kicking my legs into the floor. Then as quickly as it started it was over. There was no lingering pain. I felt like I had been through a rigorous work out though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home