Wednesday, May 10, 2006

A DWI

I was dispatched to a road hazard the other day. Dispatch told me that a truck was blocking a bridge over a creek. When I arrived I saw a wrecker was hooked up to the truck and was pulling it off of the bridge. That looked good to me, the road would be clear. As I pulled up to the bridge the wrecker pulled over with the truck in tow. The wrecker driver got out of the wrecker and started to walk back to me. He was staggering as he walked, as he got back to me I could smell that he had been drinking. He told me that he had wrecked his truck on the bridge and had gone home and gotten his wrecker and was going to tow his truck home. I couldn’t let him do that without investigating whether he was intoxicated. I had him perform field sobriety evaluations and determined that he was intoxicated and arrested him. He was adamant that he was not intoxicated. I called for another wrecker to tow his wrecker and truck.

Later at the jail another officer came to operate the intoxilyzer machine. The guy asked the other officer what the legal limit was to be intoxicated, in Texas it is .08. When he was told that he said he was going to be close. He blew a .109 and .104 so he was booked in for DWI.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home