Thursday, May 18, 2006

Teacher’s

Friday night I was driving down the road around 2300 looking for something to do when I saw a car coming towards me with no headlights, it only had running lights on. It appeared it was moving pretty fast but I did not have a radar to get a speed. As it passed me I saw it was a jeep and it had no taillights.

I turned around on the jeep and we stopped on a side street. As we stopped I shined my spotlight on the jeep so I could see in it. I clearly saw the passenger putting her seatbelt on.

I made contact with the driver, a male, and identified myself and told him why I had stopped him. He said he wondered why it seemed so dark. I could smell an odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from him as he answered me. Then I asked the female passenger if she had just put her seatbelt on. She said no, and he said she had had it on. I saw a cooler in the back seat. I asked the man if he had been drinking and he told me no. Since I knew they had already lied about the seatbelt and it was apparent by the odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from the male that he had been drinking I did not believe him.

I had him get out of the jeep. He stumbled and staggered as he got out. We stepped to the curb and I asked him again if he had been drinking. He told me he had drank two beers. That is the standard answer. I told him I knew he had more than two beers because of the smell and the way he walked.

I then did the horizontal gaze nystagmus evaluation on him. He was wobbly while I looked at his eyes. I saw six clues of intoxication. Then I had him perform the walk and turn evaluation. He almost fell as he turned around and had to catch himself on the jeep. He could not keep his balance on the one leg stand. I believed he was not only intoxicated but that he was way drunk so I placed him under arrest for DWI.

He told me he was a teacher as was the passenger and that he had only had two beers. Then he told me he lived a block away, implying that I should let him go. Finally he told me he knew the Chief of Police. I told him I did too and placed him in my car. Another officer had spoken with the passenger and determined that she was intoxicated so she was arrested for public intoxication. At the jail he refused to provide a breath specimen.

Later at the station I reviewed my video from the stop as I wrote my report. It was obvious that the passenger put her seatbelt on as they were stopping. The driver looked worse on the video than I had observed on the scene.

A couple of days later I saw the Chief. He said the male was his daughter’s teacher. The Chief did not seem too pleased that he had used his name to try and get out of being arrested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home