Friday, April 01, 2005

A Drunk

Last Sunday night I had just left the jail and was headed to the station to eat my dinner and work on my report from the earlier arrest. I saw a guy cross the street in front of me and walk over to a mini-van parked in front of a closed body shop. It was about 9:30 so it was dark and there was no foot traffic out.

There have been burglaries in this area of town so I made the block and found a place to watch him. As I watched he looked at the van and in the windows. Then he moved to the front and leaned over it. It looked like he might have been trying to get the hood to open.

I drove up to him and got out of my car. I spoke to this guy and he did not respond, he just laid there with his head burred in his arms on the hood of the van. I yelled at him a couple of times saying hi and asking him what was up, but he did not respond.

He finally picked his head up and looked at me. When he looked at me he gave me a drunken stare. So I knew he was drunk, but it was something I could not articulate for court....yet. He had snot stringing from his nose onto the arms of his coat. He was Hispanic so I began to communicate with him in Spanish. He just looked at my like I was stupid. I don't speak Spanish very well, but what I was saying I have said many times to people and have been understood.

I thought that I might have to arrest the guy so I backed up to my car and put some gloves on. I really didn't care to get his snot all over me. Once I had some gloves on I talked to the guy some more. He had the classic signs of a drunk, he smelled like an alcoholic beverage, his eyes were bloodshot and watery and he was unsteady on his feet.

A couple of other officers arrived to assist. One of the officers used to work in El Paso and speaks Spanish. He talked to the guy for a few minutes and the guy told him he had never been arrested.

I then took the guy into custody for public intoxication. At the jail he said he had been arrested before. We found his information and saw that he had been arrested for DWI in the past. The paperwork also indicated that they had put a hold on him because he was illegal. That means he probably was deported. Since our southern border is so secure he probably just turned around and came right back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home