Friday, April 01, 2005

A Fatality Wreck

Monday as I was about to pull into the station parking lot at the beginning of my shift I heard dispatch send some officers to a major wreck where one of the vehicles was on fire.

Since I was not on duty yet, I was not too concerned. As I walked into the station the Chief went walking past me on his way to the wreck since it sounded serious.

I began to prepare for briefing when I heard the officers that had arrived on scene ask for some more officers to help with traffic control. I got a car and went out to the wreck. While I was in route to the wreck the Chief came on the radio and said he needed a road closed because there were going to be three helicopter ambulances coming.

I arrived on scene and found that two Sheriff's Deputies I used to work with had blocked off the road. Since it was in my city I relieved them. I spent about the next hour blocking the roadway while the helicopters came and went and while the accident investigators did their work.

The media showed up and began filming. One of the accident investigators is a motorcycle officer. He had been on duty when the wreck occurred and had gone to the call. At one point he needed to move one of the expeditions another officer had been driving. He got in it and began to back up. He backed into his motorcycle hitting it with the expeditions door. He said he didn't damage his motorcycle too much, but it sure messed up the expeditions door. Anyway he managed to do this in front of a camera that was recording.

An elderly lady that was driving one of the cars ended up dying at the hospital later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home